1. Don't forget your budget. Be willing to compromise on some things, that in the big picture, may not really seem as important.(This also pertains to letting a wedding coordinator help plan too.)
2. Recruit family and friends to help decorate for the reception. You do not want to be running around the day of the wedding trying to put your reception together.
3. Have a detailed plan of how your reception should look, including where everything goes. By doing this, you will be able to give this plan to the people you have recruited to help so that they can carry out your vision.
4. Give yourself plenty of time to make the things you want to do yourself so that you are not rushed at the last minute. Better yet, have your bridesmaids get together with you, and have a make it party. This is a great way to get things done, and enjoy time with your bridal party.
5. Don't be a Bridezilla! No one wants to be around, or help a diva. Enough said!
6. Spend some time checking out Pinterest boards, wedding planning websites, etc. to get ideas of what you want for your reception.
Enjoy this time. It only happens once!